The Do’s and Don’ts of Tree Care
When it comes to taking care of any kind of tree, there is so much more to it than people think. You can’t just dig a hole, plant it, and expect it to prosper – there are things you should and shouldn’t do when taking care of it and helping it grow to its full potential. Here at Southern Star Tree, we are here to help educate and help you take care of your trees properly so they can grow to their fullest, be healthy, and be beautiful. Growing a beautiful, healthy tree starts with knowing what not to do, and what to do.
First, let’s start with what you should do when it comes to tree care.
- Prune your tree -- If you’re not sure what this means, pruning your tree means removing any dead, damaged or diseased branches so it can grow new, healthy ones. If you notice your tree is starting to creep onto your neighbor’s side of the lawn, then it’s probably time to get down some of the branches to give your tree a ‘refresh’.
- Look for diseases/pests -- There are several diseases and pests to look for that may be damaging the health of your tree. Search the name of your tree and what diseases are common and see how you can decrease the risk of it happening to your tree.
- Keep it away from powerlines -- The closer your tree’s branches get to your power lines, the more likely you are to lose power during the next storm. Always trim back any branches that are nearing your powerlines, or if you don’t feel comfortable, give us a call here at Southern Star Tree!
- Buy native trees -- Depending on your area, certain trees thrive in certain climates. If you live in a place that gets cold during the winter, it’s probably not the best idea to get a palm tree that needs sunshine to live. Get trees that are native to your area so they can live a long and healthy life.
- Call a tree service -- If you need any assistance at all when it comes to the trees on your property, you can always give Southern Star Tree a call! Whether you just need advice on what to do, or you need to have a tree removed – we can do it all!
- Trim on an as-needed basis -- If you like your trees a certain way, you probably trim the branches often. This can actually shorten the life of your trees and this is something you want to avoid.
- Plant them apart from each other -- Depending on what kind of tree you’re planting, the roots can spread out pretty far. To give your trees the best chance at a long and healthy life, make sure to space them out properly so the roots can spread as far as they need to.
- Don’t hire just anybody! -- When it comes to tree care, there’s only one name that should come to mind – and that’s Southern Star Tree! We specialize in all things trees and we can find a solution to any problem you have. We do it all – tree trimming, clean up, removal, and everything in between!